The County of Riverside has an exciting opportunity for a Survey Apprentice within our Transportation Department! The incumbent in this position will be on a Surveying Field Crew and will assist in tasks that include but are not limited to utilizing various surveying equipment to gather relevant information, stocking trucks with necessary equipment for the day, and setting up equipment on the field.
Some duties will include:
• Acting as rear chain or rod worker on a field survey crew, including using tapes and chains in making horizontal and vertical measurements, making simple survey notes, setting monuments, clearing brush, and stocking trucks.
• Making traffic counts, census surveys, and sign inspections, including collecting and recording data and making diagrams of intersections and accident scenes; collects materials samples, and makes and keeps notes and records of routine laboratory tests such as relative compaction, sand equivalent, specific gravity, grading analysis, and environmental analysis.
• Setting up and maintains hydrologic metering and recording equipment, and collects groundwater samples for chemical analysis; makes simple tracings, diagrams, and drawings.
• Learning to tabulate and plot field survey data and to read, interpret, and prepare contour and land maps; indexes and files records.
• Providing routine information to the public.
Knowledge of: Mathematics, including the elementary principles of algebra and geometry as applied in sub-professional engineering work.
Ability to: Learn the techniques and practices involved in assigned sub-professional engineering work; make mathematical computations; keep clear and accurate notes; do simple drafting; understand and follow oral and written directions; work cooperatively with others.
Competitive Candidates will Possess:
1. Prior experience in surveying and display familiarity with surveying terms and terminology, surveying equipment, and conducting survey research using a Geographical Information System and handwritten records.
2. College-level algebra courses, geometry courses, or surveying courses.
3. Experience with hand and computer-aided drafting, rough grading, or construction.
The County of Riverside offers a generous benefits package including a Flexible Benefit Credit to use towards a variety of health plan options, life insurance, a defined benefit pension, and much more.
To find out more information or to apply, please visit the posting on governmentjobs.com here: https://www.governmentjobs.com/jobs/285 ... apprentice
The preliminary closing date for this posting is Thursday, September 10, 2020 at 11:59 pm however postings may close at any time.
For specific questions regarding this position, contact Alyssa Wallace at AlyssaWallace@rivco.org.
1 post • Page 1 of 1
- Posts: 4
- Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:27 am