COUNTY OF LOS ANGELES
invites applications for the position of:
SURVEY TECHNICIAN II
SALARY: $6,993.82 - $8,455.74 Monthly
$83,925.84 - $101,468.88 Annually
DEPARTMENT: PUBLIC WORKS
OPENING DATE: 08/18/22
CLOSING DATE: Continuous
TYPE OF RECRUITMENT
Open Competitive Job Opportunity
We will begin receiving applications on
Monday, August 22, 2022 at 8:00 a.m. (PT).
Filing will remain open until the needs of the service are met and is subject to closure
without prior notice.
With more than 10 million residents, Los Angeles County is the most populous county in the nation. As the largest employer in Southern California, over 112,000 employees in more than 36 Departments provide vital public services as diverse as law enforcement, property assessment, public health protection, water conservation, cultural activities, and many more.
WHO WE ARE LOOKING FOR:
We are looking for multi-taskers with a keen eye for detail to join our team of survey technicians. Our ideal candidate is someone who is knowledgeable in standard survey terminology, techniques, practices, instruments, and equipment. We are also looking for individuals who are familiar with principles of algebra, geometry, and trigonometry as used in field and office survey analysis.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
WHAT WILL I DO AS A SURVEY TECHNICIAN II?
• Establish plumbed position over a known point then orient and operate a transit, theodolite, electronic distance measuring instrument, total station, or GPS Receiver for the purpose of measuring distances, angles, or directions.
• Set up, orient, and operate surveyor’s levels, such as self-leveling, electronic or titling models used to establish or determine elevations or differences in elevation between survey points or bench marks.
• Make trigonometric calculations to set survey points on horizontal and vertical curves; determine coordinate positions, perform trigonometric leveling; determine profiles and percent of grade; check calculations and plan take-offs made by the survey crew chief.
• Observe stadia distances to balance foresight and backsight rod readings in a level run circuit or to determine horizontal and vertical distances for topographic or reconnaissance mapping.
• Assist Survey Technician I when necessary to brush and clear line, grade areas, dig holes for setting survey monuments, set witness pipes, carry equipment and material used to construct and erect targets for triangulation or traverse surveys.
• Direct subordinate survey crew personnel in the placement of traffic safety equipment when doing survey work in the streets.
• Maintain and care for surveying instruments in the field.
• Assume charge of the survey crew in the absence of the survey crew chief.
• Check the survey vehicle for the loading of proper equipment and supplies to conduct the day's survey work.
• Act as survey crew recorder by assisting the survey crew chief in keeping field notes and records.
• Drive a survey vehicle to various locations throughout the County.
• Operate a depth recorder and/or power boat in making hydrographic surveys as needed.
• Perform duties of a Survey Technician I as needed.
WHAT WILL I NEED:
Three years of field survey experience, one year of which must have been at the level of a Survey Technician I*. Completion of two years in an accredited** college or university*** with specialization in engineering, including a course in surveying may be substituted for one year of the non-specialized experience****.
A valid California Class C Driver License is required to perform job-related essential functions.
Successful applicants for positions that require driving must obtain and present a copy of his/her driving record from the California State Department of Motor Vehicles before final appointment. Applicants should not present a copy of their driving history until asked to do so by the hiring department. The County will make an individualized assessment of whether an applicant's driving history has a direct or adverse relationship with the specific duties of the job. License must not be currently suspended, restricted, or revoked.
Physical Class IV – Arduous: This class involves frequent heavy lifting over 25 pounds, often combined with bending, twisting, or working above ground on irregular surfaces. It includes those positions that occasionally demand extraordinary physical activity such as those in Safety positions.
SPECIAL REQUIREMENT INFORMATION:
*Experience at the level of Survey Technician I in the County of Los Angeles is defined as: works on a survey crew in conjunction with the Survey Technician II or higher-level supervisor by taking line from distant or physically measured points, operating a rod for vertical elevation determination, and measuring distances with a steel tape or a reflective prism pole.
**Accredited institutions are those listed in the publications of regional, national or international accrediting agencies which are accepted by the Department of Human Resources. Publications such as American Universities and Colleges and International Handbook of Universities are acceptable references. Also acceptable, if appropriate, are degrees that have been evaluated and deemed to be equivalent to degrees from United States accredited institutions by an academic credential evaluation agency recognized by The National Association of Credential Evaluation Services or The Association of International Credential Evaluators, Inc. (AICE).
***Accredited colleges and universities include all four-year colleges and universities and two-year colleges (i.e., community, junior colleges) that meet the accreditation guidelines mentioned on the job posting.
****Applicants who expect to qualify and substitute for one year of the non-specialized experience through the completion of two years (60 semester units or 90 quarter units) in an accredited college or university with specialization in engineering, including a course in surveying, MUST provide a copy of their official transcript(s) showing proof of the required units at the time of filing or within seven (7) calendar days. Please submit documentation to email@example.com and indicate your name, the exam name, and the exam number.
ENDORSEMENT OF COUNTY QUALIFICATIONS:
County employees who wish to meet the one year requirement at the level of Survey Technician I using out-of-class experience must provide official documentation such as additional responsibility bonus, out-of-class bonus, temporary assignment bonus, or reclassification study from CEO Classification with your application at the time of filing or within seven (7) calendar days from application submission. Employees do not need to submit such verification if they hold or have held the Survey Technician I position. Out-of-class duties should be accurately described in the application work history, and questionable experience will be verified through the departmental HR Manager when necessary. REQUIRED EXPERIENCE MUST BE FULLY MET AT THE TIME OF FILING. NO WITHHOLDS WILL BE ACCEPTED.
HOW TO APPLY:
Applications must be submitted online only. Applications will be accepted starting Monday, August 22, 2022, at 8:00 AM (PT). We must receive your application before 5:00 PM (PT) on the last day of filing. Applications submitted by U.S. Mail, Fax, or in person will not be accepted.
Plan to submit your online application well in advance of the deadline as you may be required to verify your email address. This only needs to be done once per email address, and if you already have a job seeker account on governmentjobs.com/careers/lacounty/, you can verify at any time by logging in and following the prompts. This is to enhance the security of your online application and to ensure you do not enter an incorrect email address.
Fill out your application and supplemental questionnaire completely. The acceptance of your application depends on whether you have clearly shown that you meet the Minimum Requirements. Provide any relevant education, training and experience in the spaces provided so we can evaluate your qualifications for the job. For each job held, give the name and address of your employer, your job title, beginning and ending dates, number of hours worked per week, and description of work performed. If your application is incomplete, it will be disqualified.
1 post • Page 1 of 1
- Posts: 6
- Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:06 pm
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.